While men have traditionally spent less time and energy caring for their skin than women, growing social acceptance of cosmetic procedures and increased awareness of nonsurgical cosmetic options has resulted in more men pursuing these treatments. Since 1997, men’s cosmetic procedures have increased 106%. Concerns may range from looking tired to specific complaints about deep expression lines, uneven complexions, excessive hair, shaving rashes, sweating or age spots. More men are undergoing facial rejuvenation to look and feel younger. The following treatment options specifically address common concerns among men:
- Volume loss is one of the most noticeable characteristics of aging in men, and dermal fillers are great tools to reduce the signs of wrinkles and restore a youthful appearance.
- Skin resurfacing—with chemical peels, microdermabrasion or lasers—is used to improve fine wrinkles, uneven skin tones, age spots and acne scarring.
- Botox injections have become a popular way to soften facial expression lines (crow’s feet and furrowed brows) and treat localized sweating. Botox is administered via tiny injections into the muscles that cause facial lines to form.
- Laser hair removal is one of the most common non-surgical cosmetic procedures performed for men, with a common treatment area being the neck.
In addition to cosmetic procedures, men should consult a board-certified dermatologist about establishing a skin-care routine based on their individual skin type and their goals for slowing the aging process. In the meantime, the following basic skin care tips can be incorporated into any man’s routine:
- Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or more as part of your daily skin care regimen
- Wash your face daily and after working out using a mild cleanser
- Moisturize daily
- Add a topical retinoid at bedtime to stimulate collagen production, reduce sun spots and smooth the texture of the skin
There is still time to visit Sand Lake Dermatology Center for a complimentary consultation and/or to pick up a gift or gift certificate for a special man in your life. Call us at 407-352-8553 if you'd like more information or to set up an appointment. Happy Father's Day from Sand Lake Dermatology Center!