Moles and other birthmarks are benign pigmented spots or patches of skin that range in color from tan, brown and black (moles) to red, pink or purple (vascular lesions such as strawberry hemangiomas).An early childhood mole may be flat and black or dark colored. As the individual matures, the mole sometimes loses color and becomes more brown. In elderly patients a mole may become more raised up and flesh colored. Dermatologists recommend that starting in your twenties you get an annual total body skin check to screen for abnormal moles and melanoma. If a suspicious mole is found, a sample is taken and reviewed in the lab. It is quick and easy and could save your life.
Moles exhibiting any of the following warning signs should be examined by a professional immediately:
- A mole that is new, rapidly growing or changing in any way
- A mole that itches or bleeds
- Asymmetry (one side of the mole doesn’t look like the other)
- Irregular borders (the borders of the mole are jagged or notched)
- Different colors within the mole (pink, blue, gray, different shades of brown, black)
- A mole that is larger than the diameter of a pencil eraser
- If there is just something about a mole that is bothering you
There are many ways to remove moles from the skin. For benign moles on the face which do not have a lot of pigment, our providers use a device known as a Surgitron which very carefully shaves down the mole until it is completely removed. There is very little trauma to the skin, and the skin heals very nicely without the use of scalpels or sutures. For darker moles on the face sometimes conservative excision is important to ensure all the pigment is removed. Moles on the trunk can be removed by simple shave excision using a scalpel and a simple shave technique. Different areas of the body may have an increased susceptibility to scarring and our providers use the most careful cosmetic technique to provide optimal results.
If you have a spot that looks suspect, call us at 407-352-8553 to schedule your appointment today. We look forward to seeing you!