There are two very important statistics to remember when considering sun protection:
- In the U.S., one person dies of skin cancer every single hour
- 90% of aging is caused by exposure to the sun
These facts are reasons enough to be diligent with the use of sun protection.
There are two kinds of sunscreens- physical blockers and chemical blockers. Physical sunscreens work by blocking UV rays from reaching your skin. Chemical sunscreens work by absorbing UV rays that reach your skin. One is not more effective than the other; however, physical sunscreens are typically better for sensitive skin.
Apply at least an SPF 30 daily to the face, ears, neck and chest as well as to any other areas where sun exposure is expected. When using moisturizer or makeup that contains sun protection, note that you are not receiving the full amount of SPF that is listed since the SPF is diluted into the moisturizer or makeup.
In addition to daily sunscreen use, daily topical antioxident application to the skin is advised. UV rays, pollution and other environmental exposures generate damaging free radicals that prematurely age skin. Antioxidants such as Vitamin C neutralize free radicals and provide powerful defense against photoaging and in all likelihook, skin cancer. Clinical studies have demonstrated the stimulation of collagen production and improvement of the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, laxity and hyperpigmentation with the use of specific antioxidant formulations.
Since you receive up to 80% as much UV exposure on cloudy days versus sunny days, it is crucial to wear sun protection every day, no matter the season.
Sand Lake Dermatology Center carries several effective sun protection skin products, including:
- Celazome Moisturizing Sunscreen SPF 30
- Colorescience Sunforgettable SPF50 Mineral Sunscreen Brush (Fair, Medium, Tan or Deep)
- Elta MD UV Clear SPF 46 Facial Sunscreen
- Elta MD UV Daily Tinted SPF 40
- Elta MD UV Lotion SPF 30
- Elta MD UV Aero SPF 45 Full Body Sunscreen
- Elta MD UV Physical SPF 41 Full Body Sunscreen
- Elta MD UV Sport SPF 50
- Elta MD UV Lip Balm SPF 31
- SkinMedica Total Defense + Repair SPF50
- TIZO Mineral Fusion Broad Spectrum Facial SPF 40
- Vanicream Broad Spectrum SPF 50+
- Vanicream Sport Broad Spectrum SPF 35
- Coolibar Sun Protective Hats SPF 50
- Coolibar Sun Protective Clothing SPF 50 (If you choose to purchase Coolibar clothing or accessories online through coolibar.com, use the promo code SLDC15 to receive 15% OFF your order!)